Sunday 27 February 2011

Old Enemies

So recipes 22 and 23 were spent making things that I don't always find work well for me. Firstly, pastry, in the context of Cornish pasties. Except, as of last week, I can't call them that. Let's call them Cornish-style pasties then. I used this recipe from masterbaker Paul Hollywood (I don't know how the Great British Bake-Off's announcer kept from corpsing when they had to refer to his job title) .

Now the pastry for these is different to any that I had made before: it needed kneading and liked being treated roughly. I think that's why it worked for me. Instead of worrying about the temperature of my hands, over kneading, over stretching and generally fearing that my cack handedness would ruin my creation, I could smash, stretch and fold to my heart's content.

The filling is nice and easy to prepare just chopping and seasoning the veg and meat, no pre-cooking required, but, worrying that it would taste plain, I decided to remove more authenticity from the recipe by sloshing in some Lea and Perrins! And much good it did them.They were huge and hearty, so I just served them with a side salad; and they went down well at lunch with some lovely visiting friends.

My second recipe is still in the oven, and it has made me feel slightly nauseous already. It's probably very wrong to eat large amounts of meringue mix, but it tastes so good! Up till now, every recipe for meringues that I have tried has gone wrong: they have wept and gone sticky, not cooked, or burnt. So I have tried the superhero-esque 'Ultimate Meringue' recipe from BBC Good Food. I really want to get this right, when I was little one of my favourite treats was a deliciously sweet, plain, chewy meringue from a local shop. 

They were easy enough to make: an electric whisk did all the hard work. I added a teaspoon of vanilla essence to them, perhaps not advisable to change the recipe, given how many times I have failed to make edible meringues, but they are smelling pretty good! 

Meringue update: not as nice as the raw mix, but very, very good all the same: crispy, chewy, light and, of course, sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment