Sunday 23 January 2011

Meadow soup

The Guardian had really good recipes this weekend. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall had a special on biscuits, and the peanut butter and chocolate sandwich variety definitely winked at me from the page. Quite how he passed this off as an English recipe when it looks somewhat like a whoopie, and is crammed with peanut butter and thus must have roots with our cousins in the US, I'm not sure. (I thought they sounded marvellous though - - chocolately peanut butter cookies clamped around chocolate ganache, you really can't go wrong.) Our friend C came round for tea and I made these facing her like a Blue Peter presenter from behind our kitchen table whilst we caught up. The biscuits themselves were crispy and the salt from the peanut butter stopped the chocolate ganache from being horribly sickly. C ate one and declared it delicious, even though she doesn't really like peanut butter. They then went on to fuel an all-night poker game with our friends H and M, and only two survived till morning. These only took 40 minutes to make and fill, and I definitely commend them to you!

I also made a batch of Shrewsbury biscuits. These were crispy little things with caraway seeds and lemon zest. After the gloriously brash peanut butter cookies, sorry Hugh they're a cookie not a biscuit, the Shrewsbury biscuits seemed a bit plain. That said they'll probably make a perfectly acceptable way of boosting my energy levels in the office when I hit the afternoon slump. If I make them again, I'd double the amount of lemon zest.

S and I always have Sunday soup to round our weekend off, this week we were joined by F. This week I tackled herb soup  from the new vegetarian column, also in The Guardian. It looked like I'd liquidated a meadow it was so green! And to give it a more accurate title, it is spinach soup with a lot of herbs in. But it was very nice, and the feta, which is crumbled on top at the end, stops it tasting too much like something you find in Holland and Barrett.

No comments:

Post a Comment